Friday, October 9, 2015

physical therapy is done

I graduated from physical therapy yesterday.  It's not perfect, for sure, but I'm at the point where I can undress myself (this has actually been the hardest thing, getting a tighter t-shirt or sports bra off over my head), and I can comfortably do my old routine at the gym.  I do still have some major issues with my abs, so I'm not quite ready for pilates yet, but my physical therapist, Katie, has left me with a bunch of things I can do to continue to integrate my abs and core back together.  So, for the next couple of weeks, back to the  gym on my old schedule, MWF.  Then I'll be spending a week in San Francisco for Oracle Open World and JavaOne and will be taking a week off. I'm going to try to book an hour with my old trainer, who I haven't seen in a year for the first week in November, and then we'll see how long it takes to get back to pilates. 

I do still have at least one, maybe two surgeries left that I'd like to do early next year.  One is to fix a bit about my reconstruction.  Just a surface tweak.  That one for sure will be outpatient and probably won't keep me out of work for more than a couple of days.  The other one may be on my abs.  Something there might not be connected right, and if I can get there by doing the integration exercises (a whole lot of lifting weights while balancing on a foam roller), groovy, but if I can't, they'll go in an tweak that.  This one will be much less invasve than the surgery was a year ago, but it might involve a wound vac again.  JOY.

Either way there is actually light at the end of the tunnel now.  Could I possibly have my (new) normal life back by May 2016?  That would make this cancer nonsense a three year endeavor.  I'd like to be done soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment