Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Lessons in systems failures.

These last few months have really taught me how good my health used to be, and how easy it is to lose it entirely.  I just got home from another 3 night stint at Alta Bates.  I still had roommates, but they were much better this time around. 

So, to rewind a bit I spent a week at home recovering.  I felt like crap, barely left the second floor of hour house (we planned on that).  Many people kept us well supplied with food and things were improving.  I haven't had much of an appetite, but that's normal for the type of drugs I was on. 

Saturday morning I woke up and just didn't want breakfast.  I turned around at about 10 and went back to bed.  At two I started dry heaving.  At four my temperature hit 104 and Bob forced me to go the E.R.  Kidney and Urinary tract infection.  I was so dehydrated they couldn't find a vein for the IV.  They ended up having to use ultrasound and then put a picc line in.  So I've been IVs for a solid three days to get my fluids up and deliver antiobiotics.  I'm still barely eating, but I haven't thrown up yet today, so that's a good start. 

------------------

I never wrote about the meeting with my surgeon from last week.  It was a good news/bad news situation.  The good news is that the flaps of skin that now sit where my breasts were have attached firmly.  The bad news is that the seam where they join that goes into my armpit is necrotic - black, dead skin.  It's healing well underneath, but it looks and smells absolutely disgusting.  Doesn't help my appetite either.  There's still some discussion to be had, but this may put my DIEP flap in jeopardy since I didn't heal well from this one.

1 comment: