Friday, March 21, 2014

The end is in sight, maybe?

I am not hooked up to the wound vac today.  Reason?  Yeast.  What I thought was just plain skin irritation from the adhesive kept getting worse and worse.  I've been taking vicodin round the clock since Wednesday afternoon because it got so itchy it was actually painful and I accidentally scratched enough to break the vacuum seal on my dressings.  I didn't even have to tell the doc this morning when I saw her, she knew what it was when she pulled the dressing off and told me to take the weekend off from the vacuum.  So I've got a cream, a powder, and a pill to take for a few days, and then back to the vacuum on Monday. 

It is so weird to be untethered, I've gotten used to it.  Even better news, she thinks I'll only be using the vacuum for another week, and that I should be clear to start chemo a week from Tuesday.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high about that.  I don't need another big disappointment right now.  But for the moment, I'm happy to be free of the tubes and the plastic tape on my chest and the noise and weight of the vacuum for a couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment