Saturday, June 21, 2014

Provigil

I started my Provigil test Friday morning.  I took one pill (200mg) around 8am.  I chose Friday specifically because it follows my Thursday pilates session and ever since I went back to the gym I've needed a 3-4 hour nap the next day.  So, I took the pill and I avoided caffeine all day to keep it honest.  Usually I feel the first crash of the day around 11.  I coasted right through that.  Bob and I went down to the garage and took an inventory of all the wedding supplies that have arrived (three more minor things to buy, and then I think we're done) and then repacked them so they will be easy to take up to the zoo next week. 

I came upstairs to work on some other wedding stuff and got so into it that I completely forgot to eat lunch.  I noticed that and decided to get up and eat something after I finished this one thing.... and looked up again and it was 90 minutes later.  I got a lot accomplished.

A friend came over to have dinner with us and watch some TV.  I usually go to bed when he leaves.  I did go to bed last night, but I read.  And read.  And read.  At midnight I started taking .5mg Ativan, and I ended up taking four of those (totally safe per my doctor, I sometimes take more than that on chemo days) before I fell asleep around 3:30 am.

Woke up at 8 this morning, felt bleary from lack of sleep, but I don't think it's a hangover effect from the drug, just that I didn't sleep enough.  So I took half a pill this morning and went out to breakfast and then did a bunch of shopping all by myself - Trader Joe's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Avenue, Walgreen's.  That's more than I've attempted in a long time. When I got home my body was exhausted, but I've spent the afternoon doing more wedding stuff online and reading and never felt like I needed a nap.   It's almost 7 now and I don't feel particularly tired.  We'll have dinner and I'll go to bed at the usual time and see what happens.  Experiment over.

The best way to describe what it feels like physically is that I feel like I drank too much coffee, but not jittery.  It's unpleasant enough that I wouldn't want to do this daily, but I think it will work fine at the wedding next week.  It did feel like it took a couple of hours to kick in, so I may get up and take it earlier - maybe 5 or 6 am and let it wake me up.  I could definitely see taking a half dose to do things like fight jet lag or handle marathon conference days.  

The hyperfocus thing is interesting.  I definitely got a lot of stuff done despite my usual distractions, but when I don't have something to focus on I feel kind of scattered. 

---------------

In other news, I'm officially out of the last round of chemo on Tuesday.  My hand still hurts and is discolored from the infusions.  I plan to keep updating the blog, but those updates will be fewer and farther between as I shift into long term care - bloodwork every 90 days or so and then prep for surgery in the fall.  My next oncology appointment is July 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment