Saturday, June 22, 2013

Doesn't every girl dream of spending half her wedding day at the Stanford Tumor Board?

Earlier in the week I asked for referrals for a second opinion on my treatment protocol.  Fisher recommended Stanford over UCSF because UCSF takes uninsured and indigent patients (which is AWESOME of them), but means that they are a lot tougher to get in to see on short notice. 

So a lot of university/research hospitals have these "board" programs.  The idea is that instead of seeing one doctor who refers you to the next doctor and you sort of daisy chain care together, you see all the doctors at once, and they talk about you right then and there and make recommendations for treatment. 

I had a choice between seeing a medical oncologist or seeing the board, but they only time the board could see me is 8:30-12:30 on Friday.  Which will give me 2.5 hours to drive back from Stanford, eat lunch, get dressed, and show up at the courthouse for the wedding. 

But I'm really happy about it - the stanford board consists of a surgeon, medical oncologist (the chemo people), radiation oncologist, radiologist and pathologist.

I like Wexler and Consorti, and do expect to get treatment with them as of right now, but it's good to hear from the cutting edge research people too.  And if the answers I get from there are completely opposite to what I've heard from Wexler and Consorti, then I'll know to look for a tiebreaking third opinion. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds great! At least you'll be too occupied for pre-wedding jitters?
    -s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something like that. Nobody will mind if I just take a nap somewhere in the middle there, right?

      Delete