Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Heading to the hospital for the first surgery.

I'm heading in to Alta Bates to have my port installed.  I'll live with this thing on my clavicle for the next six months or so.  I have to be there by 1:30, surgery is scheduled for 3:30 and should take less than an hour, but they expect that late surgeries run later and told me not to expect to be released until after 7 tonight. 

I had to be nil by mouth for 8 hours, so I got up at six to have some breakfast.  It is so hard not to just grab a glass of water when you're thirsty.  I've caught myself twice doing it on auto-pilot. 

Thanks to the "big storm" we're having, they canceled all flights from Santa Barbara today, so my sister couldn't be here.  She's hoping to make it tomorrow.  The storm is so bad that I can see SFO clearly from my living room (across the bay in Oakland).  It's overcast and drizzly, no wind. 

Big thanks to Lani for stepping in and offering me a ride to the hospital so Bob doesn't have to miss too much school.  Trying to draw the line between letting him take care of me and making sure he gets the things he needs to do finished is going to be really hard. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything went smoothly, and I'm glad you were able to get a ride. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete