Wednesday, December 18, 2013

AC Round 3

It's only been a few hours, I haven't puked, but I feel like hell.  Infusion went normally, and I dozed off a bit for the last hour of it.  We came home and planted ourselves on the couch and watched a bunch of fluff on TV (if you must know: Arrow, Continuum, White Collar, BBC Top Gear).  Random trivia about our household - we don't have cable, just a broadband connection and a Mac mini and AppleTV  hooked up to a TV.  Fluff recommendations are welcome, especially if we can get them via Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes! That's pretty much what my brain can handle these days.  We don't watch any "reality" shows because they make my teeth hurt. 

A friend brought us dinner and I was able to eat a Caesar salad, some chicken and a slice of bread after I took a Zofran and let it sit for a while.  Now I'm not so much nauseated, just weird and wrong.  Nothing feels right.  I'm twitchy, I'm tired, my brain starts zipping along at a million miles an hour if I close my eyes for a second (steroids in the IV!).  The bone pain in my pelvis from the Neulasta never really left from the last injection and I get a fresh injection tomorrow.  My legs and knees just feel weak, like I climbed a mountain and forgot to eat to replenish my energy.  The side effects of one or two of the meds I'm on now (honestly, I can't remember which at the moment) include increased risk for ACL and tendon tears in the legs.  So between that, the weak feeling, and the neuropathy in my feet, I'm not doing a whole lot of walking. 

I've now been off the Prednisone for 12 days, and they gave me a low dose of decadron in the infusions mix this time, but we're going to see if I can handle it without adding back the major steroids tomorrow.  Since the mix of side effects for AC is totally different from Taxol, there's not a concern of relapsing with any of the issues I had with that, but I'm keeping an eye out just in case, and the oncologist's number with me.  The steroids directly contribute to the muscle weakness which is why I'm not just taking them.  This is one of those times when I have to balance the side effects with the benefits of a treatment.  

Tomorrow's the marathon day of appointments.  The way I feel now, I fully expect to be sleeping in the car while Bob chauffeurs me all around the bay area (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Alameda, back home to Oakland).  I'm hoping to have a final decision on the plastic surgery and some educated guesses about radiation by tomorrow night. 

Still no schedule for the mastectomy/oopherectomy.  I called the mastectomy scheduler and she said the oopherectomy scheduler hadn't returned her calls (it's been three weeks now), so I called the oopherectomy scheduler and left a message today.  I'll try harassing from that end for a bit and see if it helps.  It is doubly confusing since the scheduler for each office is named Kim. 

That's it for now.  I'm going to take an Ativan with ginger ale, crawl into bed and hope for the best.  


No comments:

Post a Comment