Thursday, December 19, 2013

Good news today.

We left at 9am this morning and just got home a couple of minutes after 6.  I has been a crazy long day of two giant doctor appointments, and then I missed my window for my neulasta shot so I have to go back out and do it tomorrow.  Not a problem, as long as it happens within 72 hours we're good. 

The radiation oncologist was very nice, and basically said that we won't know for sure until we get the pathology back from the mastectomy, which is exactly what I expected.  Basically if the tumor is over five cm (it's never been bigger than three, with all the ups and downs) OR if there's lymph node involvement I'll need radiation.  She was suggesting radiation before reconstruction, if I need it.  My sister didn't, and I'm hoping to follow her path.  I am worried about the month off between chemo though, if it was going to run wild, that was it's opportunity.   

I realized I can't remember if explained a sentinel node biopsy, so I'll do that here.  When they do a lumpectomy or a mastectomy, before they start cutting they will inject some radioactive and colored dye around the tumor site, then they look for the first lymph nodes to pick it up, and have them biopsied right there while I'm on the table.  If they are clear, then my lymph nodes are predictably good across the board.  If they are cancerous, they start climbing the chain a few nodes to see if it's still contained within the near part of the system.  If they can get to a clean node, we're still good.  If they can't, then I'll need radiation. 

Insert random new side effect here.  I went to the restroom on the way out of the oncologist's office and happened to glance in mirror.  I looked like I had smeared lipstick all over my face and up the right side of my nose almost to my eye.  I wasn't wearing lipstick.  Adriamyacin can do that.  And it did.  Fortunately I had some good makeup in my bag and was able to tone it down a bit, it seems to mostly be gone now and I just look really flushed. 

Anyway, we were there until 11:30 and didn't get out in time to go back to the oncologist's office to get my neulasta shot before the office closes for lunch, So we ended up heading to UCSF.  So we got lunch and were there about an hour early since we were super lucky with parking.  And then we waited, and waited, and waited.  This was the meeting where there was an intern taking notes and going over the questions I had asked ahead of time.  I liked the doc, he's a little cocky but comes highly recommended across the board.  We talked about the other surgeon's concerns about my weight, and the fact that one of them referred me anyway because she thought I'd be a good candidate because of how I carry it.  He did an examination and decided that he thinks I'm good, my skin barely scars and I don't have a history of blood clots.  So, I get the reconstruction I wanted!  YAYYAYYAYYAYYY.  No silicone for me.  No muscles will be moved around, just shifting fat, skin, and blood supplies. 

He also said he'd prefer to do radiation after reconstruction if it's necessary, and said he's got a doc there he'd like me to talk to about it.  

I'm very happy.  I'm looking forward to this heinously painful surgery where they will cut me in half and put me back together. 

So here is the tentative schedule, as of today.  Mastectomy/Oopherectomy penciled in for Janaury 21.  The gyno surgeon's scheduler said her calendar is clear for that day and we just need the surgeon herself to rubber stamp it.  If not the 21st, it will be later that week.

Diep flap reconstruction scheduled for early March, I should have a real date for that by the end of the week. 

For both surgeries I expect to be in the hospital for at least four days to recover. When I get home they said the only personal care I'll need is help with the drains (I'll probably have four for the mastectomy, six for the diep), which means Bob will have to drain the bulbs and measure my output before flushing the contents down the toilet. 

If I do need radiation, we'll start that about six weeks after the diep flap. 

We will definitely be needing lots of help with meal deliveries and maybe some midweek housecleaning/laundry especially with the second surgery.  Bob's out of school until April 1, so he'll be here and able to care for me for the first one.  During the second one (we're hoping) he'll be enrolled in the Electrical Engineering/CS program at Cal State East Bay (about 20 minutes from our house) and taking a full load.  I'll post the actual dates for surgery as soon as I have them. 

I am very happy, and very tired, and on a ton of Zofran and Compazine, so I'm feeling OK, just really tired.  Paul's on his way over with burritos from our favorite taqueria for dinner, and then I expect to be in bed around 9. 



No comments:

Post a Comment