Monday, December 16, 2013

Long time, no blog.

It has been brought to my attention that I haven't posted anything in a week, and somebody was worried it might be because I've been really sick.  Sorry if anybody got that impression.  I've just been extraordinarily boring. 

It's been pretty constant, low level ick with increasing tiredness.  I'm handling the bone pain from the Neulasta with Alleve and it's been a few days since I needed to take anything for nausea.  Mostly, I'm just tired.  I expect that this is the kind of tired I was supposed to be at the end of the taxol treatment, instead of the half dead that I was.  I'm definitely not healthy, but I'm not a giant bucket of misery either.  I'm reading a bunch, mostly stuff I've read before.  I don't really have the energy for anything new or deep right now. 

I've been trying to stay in since it's been cold and I definitely don't want to be in crowds of people, but I have been out a few times.  Last Wednesday I had dinner with my friends from work - it was the team holiday dinner and they made a point to invite me, which I greatly appreciated and I had a good time. 

Saturday I did my usual breakfast and shopping routine, but was pretty well exhausted by the time I got home at 10:30 in the morning.  I've been doing all the shopping (because I want to), but I'll start handing that off to Bob for the next few weeks.  He's done with finals and football now, and won't be back in school again until April 1, so he's got plenty of free time. 

Tonight we went out to dinner with Paul and saw Frozen.  It's become a habit to do movies on Monday nights because the theaters are relatively empty.  I enjoyed it. 

Tomorrow I've got bloodwork in the morning and then some errands to run.  Wednesday will be round three of AC, and Thursday is going to be crazypants.  We're meeting with the radiation oncologist in the morning to start the conversation about whether or not I'll need radiation.  (I'm really hoping no.)  I expect that the real determination will be based on sentinel node biospies during my mastectomy and maybe another PET scan. 

After that we go back and get my Neulasta shot again.  These things hurt worse than tetanus shots.  I can still feel the ache in my right arm from the first one almost four weeks ago, and I really feel it in my left arm from last time too. 

And then we drive into the city to consult with the final plastic surgeon.  UCSF has this program where they offer an in intern to work with me to develop questions for the doctor and then the intern can sit with us in our consultation and make an audio recording of it.  I said yes, and spent an hour on the phone with Elizabeth this afternoon.  I think we covered everything that's been running around in my head, she's going to type everything up and send it back to me tomorrow, and I can change or add things.  Then she'll pass it to the doctor to read through before he meets me. 

And then we come home and collapse in a heap.  That day would be exhausting if I were perfectly healthy.  Good thing Bob is, and he can do all the driving. 

Mastectomy still isn't scheduled.  I was annoyed when she didn't call back on Friday.  I left another message this morning and didn't hear back (it's been over two weeks now, total) and I'm going to call again first thing tomorrow.  I'm sliding into angry now, and I really don't want to be.  I just want it on the calendar so I can plan the rest of my life around it.

In tumor news, it started shrinking again, finally.  It had basically blown back up to the size it was when I started at Stanford.  Friday it felt really tender and then softened up a bit.  It's still there, but it's definitely smaller again. 

That's all the news from here. 

1 comment:

  1. Eric just asked about you the other night and I was all, Hmmm, it's been awhile since she posted an update. Glad to hear that you are not as wrecked as last time. Hope the surgery gets scheduled soon for your peace of mind. We are thinking about you guys.
    -s

    ReplyDelete