Monday, July 8, 2013

...and then there's more testing.

I went back down to Stanford today to do the final testing the study requires before I start.  They wanted an EKG, a chest x-ray, some blood draws and I had to pee in a cup.  So the study coordinator said she would meet me at the curb at valet parking. 

She greeted me with an enthusiastic hug, EVERYBODY at the cancer center who I saw at tumor board asked how the wedding went and several wanted to see pictures.   Apparently I am a little famous for that one. 

She ushered me through all the different departments, no real waiting time for anything until the very end of the two hours I was there.  Instead of sending me to the lab for bloodwork, they sent me to the chemo infusion rooms, which was cool - a nice preview of what it will be like when I start for real next week. 

They did the blood draw through the port.  That was really strange.  First, the thing is exactly between my breasts, and I wasn't thinking when I got dressed this morning, and wore a bra that squishes the girls together today along with a white tank top.  So I'm sitting there, holding my boobs apart with a napkin draped over my top and tucked in my bra so I don't accidentally bleed on it, and the nurse was trying to poke a needle in it. 

He finally got it in, and then did something I've never experienced before - they pushed saline before they did the draw to keep my blood pressure up.  I could taste it about a second after he did it, and I could feel the pressure climb in my ears.  I've had IVs before, but always in the arm or the back of my hand, and it never felt like that.  Don't know if this was different because of the location of the port, or because he pushed it so fast.  He definitely put more in than he took out, and I still feel it a little bit. Then I had to pee in a cup and I was done. 

Apparently my pathology slides are now in Ireland getting the full genetic workup.  They expect that to be finished in the next couple of days, and once that is complete they will randomize me and I'll know which arm of the study I'm on.  We're expecting that I'll start next Tuesday, July 16. 

In the mean time I've got another check-in with Consorti on Thursday to confirm that my port incision is healing right, and physical therapy for my knee on Wednesday. 

I've had just about enough of hospitals.  Ha. 

In other news I bought a bunch of "chemo caps" (four of the solid color ones, if you scroll down here) and Buffs yesterday, which I think will be my default headwear for the next six months.  I can wrap scarves around the caps, or just wear the Buffs like a do-rag.  Only two of the caps are neutral colors, so they won't show through the scarves as much.  Everything else is bright colors so Simone won't yell at me. ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment