Monday, July 29, 2013

And we're off...

Greetings from Stanford.  I got the order of events wrong for the day.  Got here at 9, did a blood draw (where they set a line into my port so they don't have to re-poke me throughout the day) to confirm my blood counts and that I'm not pregnant.  I'll do this every time I have a treatment.  Then we met with Mollick and he spent a solid half hour with us answering questions and explaining what to expect. 

Next we walked across the street to the trial infusion center - it's actually nicer than the main one - more privacy, a little quieter.  I do today and then my last day on the trial here.  The rest there (which is still perfectly nice). 

So I've got a mass of plastic tubes coming out of my chest and plugged into a machine with three bags hanging off of it that regulates the speed of the IV drip.  I feel like they plugged me in to the Matrix.  Pre-meds took about thirty minutes (anti-nausea, benedryl, steroids), and they just started the taxol.  Exactly five minutes after they turn off the taxol I need to take the study drugs, and then we sit here while they do blood draws at regular intervals in the six hours following to see how fast my body is moving the study drug back out of my system.  So my taxol should wrap at 1:30, which means the absolute earliest we'll be out of here tonight is 7:30. 


2 comments:

  1. Let the games begin! Good luck!

    "We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far."
    Swami Vivekananda

    ReplyDelete