Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The day after.

So I got home last night and wrote this on FB -

OMG steroids. I definitely need the zofran for nausea. I thought it would knock me out. We got home earlier than expected. I haven't done All The Things, but I have done more Things since we got home than I have in the last month. And my knee doesn't hurt at all. I know it won't last and there will be a price to pay. But at this moment I actually feel physically better than I have in the last year. No pain pills. Steroids. WOW. I did not see that coming. Don't worry, I'm not doing anything insane. Just actually cleaning the kitchen and stuff like that.
 
So here's the rest of the afternoon - actually they let me go at 5:30 - apparently they pad the times in case of delays (since it's a hospital and delays happen all the time) but I was all done and they let me go!  We carpool-laned our way through the 880/92 interchange and got home in an hour flat.  (For the locals, we've figured out that 92-280-Sand Hill and in the back way is consistently more sane than going ten miles shorter and trying to drive through downtown PA, the mall, and half the school.) 

And then after that FB post I did some other stuff cleaning up my office.  I have managed to lose a phone again.  It's in here, I called it, Bob heard it. It vibrated, and then the battery died.  This is now the third time I've entirely lost a phone in a place where I know exactly where it is.  There is still a perfectly good Droid under one of the seats in my car somewhere (with all the electronics to screw around with to pull the seat out without deploying air bags, it was just cheaper to replace the phone - it is most definitely under a seat in my car.  No question), and there is probably still a perfectly good iPhone 4 stuck somewhere in the vicinity of my side table at the Marriot we stayed at for JavaOne last year.  The alarm went off.  I turned it off, set it on the side table and went to take a shower.  Bob was still asleep when I came back from my shower and I couldn't find the phone.  Hadn't left the room.   It wasn't in the bathroom.   Nobody else had been in or out of the room.  Just vanished.  Never saw it again.  According to AT&T nobody ever tried to use it again. 

Anyway, I'm occasionally an idiot.  Back to cancer.  I cleaned some more, we watched some trashy tv.  I took an Ativan at 9, thinking it would knock me out.  It did not. (Steroids).  I got into bed and read, and read, and read and did not fall asleep.  Bottle says one every four hours.  At midnight I took my phone into the bathroom to determine interactions and things because I really don't need to Heath Ledger my way out of this one.  I risked essentially nothing by taking another one at 12:30, and it finally did knock me out around 2am.  I got up at 5:30, shook it off and left for work at 6 and felt fine. (Steroids!)  Note: I cannot think the last time I actually left for work at six in the morning, but I stupidly set up an in office meeting (that I was hosting) at 8, and an hour long by phone meeting (that I was hosting) at 7.  And since I was hosting I couldn't very well drive, take notes on the call, and talk on the call.  So I left at 6 and ended up doing the call from my car in the parking lot in front of Oracle because I was just late enough to not have time to walk in the building and find an office to use.

Anyway, I'm occasionally an idiot.  Back to cancer.  Meetings meetings meetings.  I took a Zofran for nausea at 9am, which kicked it into submission nicely.  Attempting to drink five liters of water a day yesterday, today, and tomorrow to flush all the crap out of my system (yes, on doctors orders), trying to stay on top of the supplements and eat enough protein and eat some actual fruit and vegetables.  I got home around 1 and felt like the steroids were wearing off, but that didn't really happen.  I didn't spend hours doing all the things in the kitchen again (because they were done), but I did spend a couple more hours working on stuff I didn't really need to because I was bored and not tired, but not really together enough to trust myself to take on some serious work-work.  

Zofran wore off at 5 on the nose.  The nausea didn't get too bad though, more like heartburn and I ate a small dinner.  Took an Ativan at 7.  I'll take another one in 30 minutes, and probably head up to bed around midnight.  

So far the only side effect I've seen beyond (well controlled) nausea is major stomach cramping.  The doc warned me about that - he said about half the people feel it in the gut, right under the diaphragm at some point after an LCL161 dose, and he wasn't wrong.  Next time I'll pick my meds more carefully and try to sleep through that part if I can.  If the timing is the same it'll hit between 3 and 4 am next week.  It wasn't any more hellacious than a really bad case of gas or something, but that can still be pretty hellacious especially when there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.  My face was also pretty flushed all afternoon today.  Which could be a side effect, or could just be summer.  Meh. 

Anyway, today was pretty good, no nap, didn't need one.  The Things I Did (that I had no energy to do over the weekend) were a trip to Smart and Final, leaving for work at 6am, not taking a nap, and further fussing around the kitchen and cleaning my office.  Natalia (house cleaner) comes tomorrow and she might have a heart attack over how organized my office is.  

I am starting to feel actual tiredness.  This is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment