Thursday, October 24, 2013

hospital, day four

Not much to report.  They put a giant HEPA filter in my room last night, but it dried out the air and made my cough worse, so I went back on the oxygen because they can add a humidifier to it and that helped a bit.  

The bronchoscopy was scheduled for 4pm, and they wouldn't let me eat all day or have any water after 10am.  I haven't been hungry so the food wasn't much of an issue, but being thirsty for several hours was really unpleasant.  I slept most of the day.  And then they didn't actually get me in for the procedure until 5:30. 

I thought they were going to knock me out for it, but they didn't.  I was sedated, but totally aware of what was going on.  They prepped me by having me inhale lidocaine through a nebulizer, and then squirting it directly on the back of my throat, and then swabbing it around the back of my throat with gauze.  It tastes terrible, and my gag reflex wouldn't die (which was the whole point) so that was pretty miserable.  Then they stuck the scope in and poked around for a while.  The monitor was right by my face so I could see the inside of my lungs as he was doing it.

I got back to my room around 8 and ordered dinner.  And that's about it. 

I'm starting to lose track of time in here.  When I called Bob he asked about the biopsy results which were supposed to be back today.  I have no clue. 

Hoping tomorrow will be a day of information on many fronts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment