Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Week 11

Once again my port was misbehaving.  They don't think it's clotting up, they think there's a kink in the line.  It takes a push just fine, but blood return is so slow that they can't fill the vials for my bloodwork fast enough.  We did three full draws over three hours before we finally got samples (from the back of my hand instead of the port) that prove that I'm not dead yet.  So we started way late, and I got out of there way later.  No meltdown from me this time.  I guess I'm getting better at this. 

I was weirdly sad to leave.  The first and last days of the trial happen in a different building, so while this was my 11th infusion, it was my 10th and last at this facility.  They really go over the top to make you feel welcome - the front desk staff makes a point of knowing the schedule before you get there, and always greeting you by name if they can confidently do it when they call you from the line (if there's a line at all).  They only messed up once on me, when I showed up an hour early for something.  And the next week the woman who did it happened to be in the parking lot before my appointment and called my name to let me know she remembered.  It's a lot of little stuff, but it counts. 

Today I made all the phone calls.  Got my MRI booked for next Wednesday.  Got two different plastic surgery consults booked and the gyno surgeon.  Also did a bunch of bank stuff, because what you really need on top of cancer and a slightly sprained ankle and a full time job is bullshit like this. 

Wells Fargo is attempting to foreclose on the house we just bought even though we've paid every bill on time since we moved in.  They just helpfully decided to apply one of our mortgage payments to principal and set off a spiral of "late fees" and "missed payments" that were never applied to the account because they don't "accept partial payments".  I think it's all straightened out now.  If I were healthier (and/or this continues unresolved for another couple of weeks) I would start a social media shitstorm about it (social marketing is basically what I do for a living now, I'm pretty good at it), but I just can't apply any more energy to it right now.  And they've got another 29 theoretical years to try to screw us over again.  I'll be keeping a closer eye out. 

The condo I've been waiting for someone to foreclose on for the past 16 months as it's been sitting and unpaid for finally had some movement.  Collections called me.  I started the process to do a deed in lieu, but also called our real estate agent (who I've worked with multiple times now and love dearly) to ask for advice.  She said she thinks she can get a short sale done for me, with no more effort on my part than filling out a couple of forms and she'll do the rest of the legwork.  So I agreed to it.  It's better for my credit rating, which would allow us to refi away from Wells Fargo (and our PMI) on this place sooner.  It's a really nice studio, right on the beach and a giant park with gorgeous walking/bike paths.  I loved that place for a long long time, it just wasn't big enough for me and Bob to both live and work from home.  BofA refused a short sale the first time I asked because I "make too much money" and had no other hardships.  Well now I have a bigger mortgage and cancer, so I've got no trouble with the hardship qualification.  We'll see how it goes. 

The oncologist confirmed the neuropathy in my feet.  Apparently I've done everything really really right with my supplements and meds and eating strategy - like the anemia and pleurisy, they expected to see those symptoms in week 6, which is when everybody else gets them.  She thinks I staved it off enough with the glutamine supplements that I should get the feeling back in my feet within about a month of finishing treatment.  But then it's also a side effect of the AC chemo, so I might get it back just in time to start over again. 

Tomorrow I get up early to run one meeting at 7am, then I'll spend an hour on that paperwork for the short sale, and then I'm off on vacation.  I'm excited, but a little worried that with all this free time I'll have time to think.  About stuff.  I'm bringing the laptop that doesn't have the security crap for work on it so that temptation won't be there, and a Kindle stocked with a lot of trashy novels, and comfy pants for days.  Everybody else is going spelunking.  Hahahahahahaha.  


No comments:

Post a Comment