Friday, September 13, 2013

I woke up this morning and saw Drew Carey in the mirror.

My hair is just wispy little blonde fuzzies now, black rimmed glasses, and yes, I look like Drew Carey.  You're welcome for that visual. 

The new drug regimen worked like a charm.  I haven't been sick.  Is it sad that I'm a little disappointed I haven't gotten to try out my fancy new barf bags yet? 

Wednesday and Thursday I took the decadron (steroids) in the morning with breakfast like I was supposed to, and they kept me awake but not too hyperactive during the day.  I do need heavier drugs to get to sleep with on those nights.  This morning no steroids, and I only had one phone call to do today for work at 11, so I decided to go without coffee and see how I did. 

I made it through my meeting, but I was completely out of gas - like took several minutes to climb the stairs to get into bed.  Pretty sure I had my earplugs in and eye shade on by 11:30 and was pretty much unconscious until after 3. 

Somebody asked about the stairs a while back on FB, I think, and I don't think I ever answered the question.  Our house is a split level townhouse perched on a hill.  It's essentially four stories - the ground floor has the garage, laundry, living room, and no bathroom.  The "basement" is a full bed and bathroom (Bob's office), but is bright and sunny because we're on the hill.  Second floor is the kitchen/dining area, my office and a full bath, and then the entire top floor is the master bed/bath.  Bob's working on building a murphy bed for my office, and when I'm sicker I expect to sleep on this floor regularly - it's much easier to take care of myself if I'm on the same level as the kitchen, and the bathroom is closer too.  But it will be a few weeks before that's done, so for now I take the stairs, and I am always careful.  Unless we actually get a portapotty in the living room, I'll always be at least one flight up from the ground floor here. 

Elise brought me dinner and I introduced her to Top Gear, and now she's gone and I'm headed back for bed.  Bob's working a double header tonight and I expect I'll probably be sound asleep by the time he gets home in an hour, and I expect to spend a good chunk of tomorrow in bed too.  That's OK.  I'll take sleepy over sick for as long as I can.

Some big decisions coming up that I'll write about more when I'm a bit more awake - short version is that things are looking good enough that they might recommend that I do the mastectomy in October rather than waiting until spring.  There are reasons for and against, and it comes down to whether or not the tumor disappears entirely by October 15.

I'm really starting to believe it might.  I had a hard time finding it this morning.  


No comments:

Post a Comment