Monday, September 2, 2013

Starting week 6

Been up and down.  Good days, bad nights.  Not sure yet what kind of night tonight is going to be.   In new things I learned this week, there are two kinds of nausea and puking.  There's the normal kind you do when you have food poisoning or drink too much or are seasick.  That's pretty much what I've expected with chemo, and that's happened once, a few weeks back.  Then there's another kind, which I think is what's been happening to me.  Food goes in your stomach and just stops there.  That's the kind of thing the Reglan is for, and it's happened to me a couple of times now.  I haven't taken that drug yet, and I suspect I won't until/unless this starts happening earlier in the day.  I've had a couple friends tell me some nasty stories about it, and I won't go there unless I'm really feeling like my nutritional needs are not being met. 

Most days I spend the morning ticking off the various nutrition boxes every couple hours or so, and then all I need to worry about for the rest of the day is supplements and getting enough protein, and I've long been in the habit of trying to have larger meals earlier in the day and smaller ones later.  So losing my dinner because it has been sitting there for several hours and not doing thing?  Not my preference, but not a big thing either.  Hell, that's basically what I paid for when I had the gastric band for all those years. 

But it happened last night, and I was up all night with a case of the runs that just would not stop.  I realized today that yesterday I ate a burger, and there was lettuce on it.  "Salad" is easy to skip.  It's hard when I don't really think about it being a component of what I'm eating.  I'll be paying more attention from now on. 

So today ended up being a nothing day - too tired to concentrate and still running to the bathroom off and on into the afternoon.  I had myself a Breaking Bad marathon and we bought a new washing machine online.  I made a bland pasta and mushrooms thing for dinner that will be good for tomorrow after my infusion.  So even though my nights have kinda sucked, the days this weekend were good.

Saturday was great.  We got up and out of the house by 9 and met my sister and her boyfriend at the Carneros Inn up in Napa.  It is this ridiculously expensive resort thing.  They were there as guests of a friend and invited us up to spend part of the day.  We parked Bob in a comfortable spot on the patio for an hour while the rest of us got massages, and then we had a fantastic lunch and hung out by the pool until around 3.  Then Bob and I drove out toward Bodega Bay to meet up with some friends who were camping out there for the weekend.  We had a great time and ended up staying a bit later than we expected, because I managed to be awake longer than expected. 

Tomorrow is infusion number six, and with that I'll be half done with the study.  I don't expect any real surprises.  


2 comments:

  1. I've taken Reglan quite a bit, via IV and pill form--for some reason it's one of the things that works for getting rid of intractable migraine when I'd end up in the ER, that and a steroid and large doses of Benadryl. It doesn't do anything for the migraine in pill form for me, but I've never had any side effects from it. Your mileage may vary of course, plus all the other stuff you have going on that could interact with it, but I wanted to share a neutral to positive anecdote! I guess it makes some people really tired?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use Reglan a lot for the pro-stomach motility anti-nausea effect you mentioned, and just tell patients to let us know if they develop any neuro side effects. The vast majority don't, and if they do all clears up when the drug is stopped (b/c it's done quickly). It can be a miracle drug!

    ReplyDelete