Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Week 9

We did everything different today, but so far so good.  M and T came with me down to Stanford.  We had time for a quick lunch at Umami Burger - I had a burger topped with a short rib, gruyere, and garlic aioli.  Wow, was that fantastic.  I usually have a beefy sandwich of some kind going in - having a lot of protein beforehand seems to keep everything else stable through the treatment. 

So then we went in and I explained Nurse Anne's instructions to the nurse who did my blood draw and it worked (slooowly again, but I got return on the first try).  I also requested a private room so M, T, and I could talk work stuff without disrupting the other patients.  It went OK, and they said it was interesting to them to see how they do things in person.  I was a little zoned out for most of it, honestly, but they were able to talk and ask me questions and I think it was worth doing for all of us. 

We were out the door at six but had heinous traffic getting back into the city.  We dropped M off near BART, and then went back to the marketing party, which was more like a large group panic attack.  I am very fortunate that I do not have to care about this:  Oh no, he didn't!

But just about everybody else in that room does.  They have to spin it, and they have to plan to change signage tomorrow based on the outcome of the race, so they all have to have two totally different plans to execute on for PR, social media, our websites, keynote content, everything.  Marketing nerd panic.  Glad I don't have to deal.  But the main goal in attending the party was to get T introduced to our boss's boss so he has a face and a name as she takes on my old position. 

Mission accomplished in about 15 minutes, and then she went off to a VIP party she was invited to, and I went off to have dinner with my friend Michelle at this really nice place (25 Lusk) down the street.  We had a fantastic time catching up and an amazing meal.  I dropped her at her hotel and then came back to mine and called Bob.  I did get my second round of meds a little later than the last few weeks, but everything's OK so far, and I am wide awake.   Bob and a bunch of our friends are at a bar about a mile from here, so I asked if they would mind moving back up here to the hotel so I can join them for a while.  I'm definitely awake enough to see everybody, but I don't want to tempt fate and be away from a clean bathroom tonight.  Waiting to hear back on that one.  I won't be offended if they don't make it back here before closing, but I will be able to join them earlier tomorrow at least, so I'm looking forward to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment