Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Can't wake up

It's 6:48 pm and I've been staring at this blank page nodding off for several minutes now. 

The Kaopectate/Coconut water experiment worked, after I signed off last night I went to bed and wasn't sick - which was great. 

The problem is that they give you a ton of extra fluids, and when I had the runs those were on the express train out of my body.  This time, I had to get up and pee literally every 20-30 minutes all night.  So I didn't sleep well.  I got up at 8 and did my morning meetings until about 9:30.  Felt just stupid exhausted, talking like I was drunk (one ativan for nausea this morning, and one more I'm about to take, and that's it for today, which is not enough drugs to cause that kind of feeling).  If this is the future, then I'm taking every wednesday as a sick day until I'm done with the trial, and I need to start keeping extra snacks and bottled water upstairs too.

I thought maybe I'd sleep for a couple of hours and wake up again, but to make sure I set an alarm for 12:50 to I could be sure to make my 1pm meeting.  I felt just as exhausted.  Fortunately, I didn't have to do anything but introduce two people and listen.  I did it from bed.  I fell asleep as soon as it was done and didn't wake up again until pretty close to 5.

I could go right back to bed right now.  I've had zero appetite.  No real nausea, but no hunger.  I forced down some oatmeal this morning and then had a nutrigrain bar and some creamy corn soup from a box just now.  There is a slice of ham taunting me with it's brown sugar covered goodness.  I don't know if I can get it down, but I need the protein.  They say don't eat things you really like in the days immediately following chemo, because you can accidentally turn yourself off to your favorite foods.  I get it now.  Bland city until I wake back up again. 

All in all, I'll take the zombified feeling over being sick.  But if I can't shake this tomorrow, I'm going to have to seriously reconsider my stance on taking time off on disability.  Or beg for the steroids.  


No comments:

Post a Comment