Wednesday, August 14, 2013

rumaki and bacon wrapped figs with goat cheese, the ultimate cancer diet?

Awake a bit later than usual because I'm still coming off the steroids.  Still had the runs all day and so stayed close to home and  took a long long nap, but basically OK. Today was a day of tiredness, and maybe 3/4 of the work I needed to do, but not misery. 

Lessons learned on taking meds on time - alarms set on my phone to remind me.  In the first 48 hours if I wait to feel like I need more Zofran or Ativan, it's too late.  I expect that window to extend to 72 hours in the coming weeks as the toxicity builds in my body. 

Looking into nutritional stuff tonight.  There is so much woo bullshit out there on cancer and nutrition that it's impossible to wade through.  I'm already tired.  I don't need to chase down 15 competing theories about why blueberries are perfect for chemo and that they are going to kill me quick if I eat just one. 

The advice comes from all corners of the world, and is so general, and so contradictory, and so just-not scientific that I've been having a hard time doing research that way. 

So I turned it around tonight and looked at my bloodwork (which I have a major trended record of now over the past couple of months) and at what nutrients I either need more of to support chemo according to the doctors and documentation at NIH, and what nutrients the chemo causes to deplete in the body, either by using them up or blocking absorption.  And I can see it happening, I dropped below the bottom line for several or the first time this week . 

According to all of those sources I need to eat for magneisum, iron, calcium, and potassium (because they are needed for physical and mental health, and chemo depletes them, possibly eventually to the point where I'll get them via IV), but I can't do real supplements because of the study (it's a rule, and if you can't tell, I think most supplements are bullshit anyway in the western diet, even a really crappy western diet)  and most supplements just give you expensive pee anyway without the other ingredients in food to help you absorb them. 

My biggest problem is that I can't eat leafy greens, at all, unless they are pureed into soup, juice, or smoothies.  About 40% of the time even just iceberg lettuce does it to me. 

On my best days in the last 10 years your basic salad, kale, spinach dish would go right through me.  I just hoped I was getting some of the nutrients during the hour or two that it spent in my gut. Can't do it at all now, and things like nuts (a favorite protein snack) are off limits too.  Chemo causes you to basically shed all the fast-turnover cells in your body and nothing moves faster than your gut.  Too much fiber or structure in food during is going to start tearing me apart internally, literally.  I'm not eating anything harder than a table cracker right now and making sure to chew it thoroughly. 

I'm looking into juicing - I guess I fail as a California Liberal for never having a green juice in my life (and a fruity one only as a special treat or last resort) Mostly you can blame bananas.  Juicers like to put bananas in everything and I absolutely refuse to eat them.  So I figure this week I'll go in to a couple of juice places a couple of times and see if I can find flavor combos that work for me, and if I like it I'll invest in a real juicer.  If I don't really like it, there's no way in hell I'll ever actually do it at all at home. 

So I did a bunch of reading on the NIH sites and tried to figure out where I can shore myself up, either on top of, or instead of juicing.   The other thing is that as I'm able to eat less I'm going to need to get these things in as extreme concentrations as possible, just to make sure I get it in. 

Iron's a big one - I don't eat a lot of red meat and got very very out of the habit with the band.  I've been trying to order it more in restaurants now, and have it a few times a week at home (sirloin strogonoff for dinner tomorrow, FTW!).  According to the NIH the greatest source of iron isn't beef per ounce, it's chicken liver.  Can I start requesting rumaki for an appetizer every night as part of my treatment?  Actually, I'm pretty sure I've never had chicken liver outside of rumaki or pate.  Bob has convinced me that southern fried chicken livers are a thing and I should have them.  Experiments begin tomorrow. 

Magnesium I can get through nut butters - a run through the food processor and they should be perfectly safe for me one the sharp corners are gone.  I might follow Bob's lead and stir it into oatmeal in the morning.  Beans, chocolate, and dairy are also good sources already in my diet, although, surprisingly, it's the chocolate that I eat the least regularly. 

Calcium is easy because I like dairy.  You will pry it out of my cold, dead hands.  Morning coffee is a flat white with a full 8 ounces of milk and a doubleshot.  An hour later I have half a cup of yogurt with some sort of fruit in it.  Cheese is not in any way a requirement at every meal, but it does seem to show up in small doses all over the place. 

And then there is potassium, which is the domain of the banana.  WHY WHY WHY WHY!  These fruits are the bane of my existence.  No one will be happier than me when they finally go extinct. 

I actually saw one of the nutritionists at Stanford carrying bananas in her belt like you might a gun in a holster. WHY!  Anyway, this looks easy too - dried apricots are a good source and they are already a regular snack, also dried figs and dairy.  MORE DAIRY.   

And now that figs are in season, maybe I'll stuff them with goat cheese, wrap them in bacon, and serve them with rumaki.  The ultimate cancer diet? 






12 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts! My mom used to prepare livers sauteed in a pan with shallots (which you wouldn't have to eat after cooking) - tasted delish. Not everyone likes the taste, but if you do, great healthy thing to eat. Good luck to you, and keep on a'bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My big worry is texture, honestly. Sometimes I have issues, but it's been so long since I've just had "liver" in any generic format that I'm hoping my tolerances have expanded a bit since I was 8. And I do love pate, so I could just go the expensive route. Although if I'm nauseated that might not be a smell I can live with for long. I wonder if I fry and flavor them right, I might be able to do some kind of taco or gyro style thing with tzatziki or something. Hmmmm. Thoughts.

      Delete
  2. How about a piece of soft bread with fig jam, goat cheese, and bacon. To hell with it as a snack, how about a sandwich? Oh, baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound tasty, but I probably need more figs than that. Totally doing this as little appetizers on toast someday for sure though. :)

      Delete
  3. FYI, when I was in the ICU they put some potassium in me using my IV line and that was the one and only time I used the nurse call button. Stephanie Bangs up there can probably speak to this as well, but the nurses told me that most people cannot stand potassium in their drip at all it burns so bad. They weren't lying. Some people can't feel it; they were hoping I was one of the ones that wouldn't be able to feel it. HA HA FUNNY JOKE.

    Like, I can't begin to tell you how much it hurt on my insides. It takes about 10 minutes to start hurting so you think everything is A-OK and then blammo GET IT OUT OF ME. Thankfully they can flush it out pretty quick and you don't feel like your veins are on fire for very long.

    Other than that, I got no advice, I'm sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like hell. And the pills are huge and miserable too. I'm really hoping I won't need to go that far. I picked up some "tropical flavor" coconut water at Trader Joe's so I'll see how that works for me. Maybe if I mix it with actual pineapple juice it will taste like something tasty?

      Delete
  4. Do you like avocado? More potassium than banana and good on magnesium too.
    -s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm going to try working it into chicken salad and on tacos.

      Delete
  5. Do you like avocado? More potassium than banana and high in manganese too.
    -s

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think juicing is a great way to get large amounts of nutrients into your body without the bulk of too much fiber. And you can mix up different kinds of fruits and veggies to make them palatable. My "Davis Drug Guide For Nurses" has a large list of potassium-rich foods. I'll just list the non-banana ones here:
    artichoke
    avocados
    cantaloupe
    cassava
    dried fruits
    grapefruit
    honey dew
    jack fruit
    kiwi
    kohlrabi
    lima beans
    mango
    meats
    milk
    dried peas and beans
    nuts
    oranges/orange juice
    papaya
    peaches
    pears
    pomegranate
    potatoes (white and sweet)
    prunes/prune juice
    pumpkin
    rhubarb
    salt substitute
    spinach
    sunflower seeds
    Swiss chard
    tomatoes/tomato juice
    vegetable juice
    winter squash.

    Hope this helps :-)
    -Stasi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potatoes way higher in potassium than bananas. Ask anyone who has done long distance biking ;-) Sweet potatoes awesome also. Eat the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also going to chime in on avocados--I'm on a medication that's a potassium waster, so I have to supplement with potassium pills and potassium-rich foods, and I too, am banana-adverse.

    The great thing about most potassium-rich foods is that they can easily be pureed into soups or smoothies or whatever.

    ReplyDelete