Friday, August 9, 2013

Still mostly good.

I went back to physical therapy for my knee again today - had a couple of weeks off due to scheduling snafus and my therapist being out sick last week.  While I knew it to be a true fact that even though my knee has been feeling fine because of the steroids, that did not in fact make it actually better.  Saw proof of that today. 

I've been slacking on the stretching and exercises because it didn't hurt, and I really need to not do that.  I'm not beating myself up over it, there are only so many things I can handle at a time, but it also seems kind of dumb to not take advantage of this little moment where I could push for improvement and it wouldn't cost me much energy or pain-wise. 

Unless I have a bad reaction to the taxol (read - an allergy-type reaction like a major rash or anaphylaxis) next week, that will be the end of the steroids for me.  I don't think I'll be sorry to see them go.  The crazy energy boost the first week was fun.  Not being able to sleep this week when I was so sick and so physically wrecked was not.  The real tradeoff is that while it eases inflammation everywhere, it also weakens muscle across the board, so if I need to choose, at this point maintaining lean muscle mass is the absolute right choice.  Some of the drugs I'm on will damage my heart - it's not an if-thing, it's a how-much-thing.  I can live another fifty years with a busted knee.  Despite my size, my heart is perfectly healthy right now, I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible. 

In other news, the dreaded rash seems to have shown up in the last couple of days.  This is the other major side effect of LCL161 that I was warned about.  It's purely cosmetic - but everyone who takes it gets cystic acne on the scalp.  I haven't actually started to shed hair yet, but I can feel the acne starting on my temples and creeping up to the crown of my head.  They've got some steroid creams (yay, more steroids) that should help keep it under control, but it just feels kind of gross and tender.  And because I am human I cannot stop touching it.  Which is making it worse.  Blech.  That's really minor though.

Overall, feeling good going into the weekend.  I had a pretty productive day work-wise, got into PT, went to DMV to pick my disability placard (which I don't need now, but am happy to have for when I do), and then we had a friend over for dinner.  I have exactly two goals for the weekend - 1) get shopping and basic meal prep for Monday and Tuesday done and 2) find my wallet.  It's been missing for a couple of weeks now, and it is in my office or in the kitchen.  It has to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment